Creating Dynamic Menu by 4.1.1
1700 West 162nd St.
Gardena, CA 90247
(310) 217-9500
City Seal
Permits & Fees
Effective March 1, 2016 every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month, Community Development will be open at 8:30 a.m. instead of 7:30 a.m.

* Click here
to view a list of the Planning Division Fee Schedule effective July 11, 2011.

Alarm System Permit

Any residence or business with an alarm system must have a permit on file with the City. Effective March 2004, Alarm System Permit processing responsibility was transferred to the Police Department. If you need assistance or require additional information, click here.

arrow Alarm System Permit

Bingo Permit
In accordance with Gardena Municipal Codes Section 5.16, any person or persons who want to conduct a bingo game must obtain a permit prior to the event. Only nonprofit organizations located in the City of Gardena are eligible to apply for a permit, and all applications must be approved by City Council. For additional information about applying for a Bingo Permit, click here.

arrow Bingo Permit

Building Permit
Most residential, commercial and industrial construction and demolition work whether it be new construction, remodels or alteration require a building permit. For example: signs, banners, fences, re-roofs, electrical upgrades, plumbing upgrades, window change outs all require a permit. For additional information regarding the building permit process click here.

arrow General Building Permit
arrow Fence & Re-Roof Permit
arrow Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Permit

Business Certificate of Occupancy

It is unlawful for any person to commence any business within a building without first having obtained a zoning clearance and a Certificate of Ocupancy from the City. Before a Certificate of Occupancy can be issued for that business, the premises must be inspected by a building inspector to ensure there are no major life safety issues and all inspection fees must be paid. The Certificate of Occupancy is also required BEFORE a Business License can be granted. For more information regarding the business licensing process and how to obtain a certificate of Occupancy click here.

Conditional Use Permit (CUP)
Most zoning districts have various permitted uses. The purpose of a "use permit" is to allow for special consideration of certain specified uses which may or may not be compatible with an area depending on the specifics of the particular project. In reviewing a use permit application, the staff and Planning Commission will evaluate such items as building placement and size, traffic generation, noise, hours of operation, adequacy of parking, circulation, proposed merchandise, landscaping, overall compatibility of the use with adjoining properties, other related development impacts, etc.. Conditions may be imposed as necessary to insure that the proposed use will be compatible with the environment.

Examples of business uses that require a Conditional Use Permit include: adult-oriented businesses, amusement arcades which constitutes a poolroom, billiard or social club, and businesses planning to provide entertainment or serve alcohol.

arrow Conditional Use Permit Application

Development Permit
Examples of project activities that require a Development Permit include: conditional use permit, site plan review, variance, zone change or land division.

Before starting a project, applicants should make an appointment with a planner to discuss their project, required development permits, applicable development standards, fees, submittal package and other entitlements and requirements and environmental documentation that will be applicable to a proposed development project. To schedule an appointment call (310) 217-9530.

arrow Development Permit Application

Encroachment & Excavation Permit
Any construction, reconstruction, repair or change to any excavation or encroachment in any street, curb, gutter, sidewalk, driveway, storm drain, culvert, cable, highway light, or erects or maintains any pole, fence, guardrail or any other structure within a right-of-way, or conducts any traffic counts or interferes with the normal flow of traffic, or causes water to flow onto any street is required to obtain an encroachment permit from the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department This permit requirement also applies to house moving. Click here for additional information.

Fences and Re-roof Permit
The permit provided below is required for building a fence or to re-roof a building.

arrow Fence & Re-Roof Permit Application

Oversized Load Permit (House Moving)
It is unlawful to move any load which exceeds the width, height, length or weight limits set forth in the California Vehicle Code (Oversized Load) over any public highway or public place (street) without first obtaining a permit from the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department. This permit requirement also applies to house moving. Click here for additional information.

Home Occupation Permit
Home Occupation Permits are issued Monday through Thursday between 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.and Friday between 7:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Certain home businesses are permitted by the City to be carried on by the inhabitant of a dwelling. The permitted business must be incidental and secondary to the use of the structure for living purposes and cannot change the character or adversely affect the uses permitted in the zone and vicinity.

The home occupation permit application must be approved by the landlord or, if you reside in a condominium or any of the gated single family gated residential developments (Emerald Square, Redondo Village), the authorization of an authorized officer of the homeowners association must be on the application. Upon approval you must proceed to obtain a business license. Click here for additional information.

arrow Home Occupation Permit Application

Sign Permit
Signs and banners are regulated by City ordinance as to size, number, location and height. This ensures compatibility between signs and other structures and reduces possible detrimental effects. Prior to installing, altering or moving a new or existing sign, plans must be first submitted to and approved by the Community Development Department. For further information, contact the City Planning Division at (310) 217-9530.

arrow Sign Permit Application

Sewer Permit
Any construction or activity which involves the construction, repair, or alteration of any public sewer, main line sewer, house lateral, sewage pumping plant requires a permit from the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department. Click here for an application and additional information.

Sewer Connection Permit
Any construction or activity which involves connecting to a public sewer requires a permit from the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department. The permit requirements do not apply to the county sanitation district, its chief engineer, its contractors or city contractors. Click here for an application and additional information.

Special Business Activity Permit

arrow Special Business Activity Permit Application

Taxi-Cab Public Necessity
In order to engage in the business of operating a taxicab in the City of Gardena a permit is required. Applicants shall file a sworn application and pay a non-refundable fee. Click on the link below for the Taxi-Cab Public Necessity application.

Taxi-Cab Public Necessity Application

Temporary Banner Permit
A banner is any pennant, streamer, sign, picture, figure, or other object, made of flexible material, which is suspended or otherwise designed for decoration or advertisement or to attract the attention of passersby. Banners may be displayed for a duration not to exceed 15 consecutive days of 60 total days in any twelve month period.

arrow Temporary Banner Permit Application

Temporary Use Permit (TUP)
Permits may be obtained at specific locations for certain temporary activities and/or facilities that would otherwise be inappropriate on a permanent basis. Such uses may be permitted for a period of four days to a maximum of six months, with a possible extension. For more information regarding Temporary Use Permits click here.

arrow Temporary Use Permit

Truth in Sales (Property Information Report)
The city requires a Property Information Report be made available to the buyer of ANY property in the city of Gardena. The seller or their agent is required to file the request for the report. Failure to offer the information to a buyer is a misdemeanor violation. The Property Information Report provides information about the status of property and structures that a buyer should be aware of, prior to closing escrow. The report includes a report of city records and restrictions applicable to the property and includes the results of an exterior inspection of the property. The reports are good for 6 months and are not required for units in a condominium project. For an application and additional information click here.

Webmaster | Website Policies | Copyright Notices
Click the image on the right to view the City
of Gardena's calendar
of events and
Calendar Icon
City of Gardena
Calendar of Events
Media Center
Media Icon
Click the image to view current council meetings and other forms of media.
Recycling & Trash
country flags